New Furnaces in Portland
Serving Portland & the Surrounding Areas
Your furnace is responsible for providing heat to offset the outdoor temperature on cold days. Choosing the right furnace for your home and caring for it properly are the keys to improving home efficiency and comfort. Sun Glow Heating & Air Conditioning offers comprehensive heating and cooling services that include air conditioner and furnace replacement, cleaning, and repair; our expert technicians are ready to help you with any furnace service near Portland.
Understanding Furnace Efficiency
Furnace efficiency affects the cost of heating your home and the comfort of your living spaces. The efficiency of any heater is measured by its AFUE, or Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency. AFUE is a ratio of the efficiency with which a furnace converts incoming energy into heat—a higher AFUE rating means greater efficiency.
- Today, new combustion furnaces must have an AFUE of 78% or greater, but older furnaces may have AFUE ratings as low as 65%. This is why it can be extremely beneficial to consider upgrading an older furnace, even if it appears to be working well. Even when it is functioning perfectly, a furnace with an AFUE of 65% will always cost more to operate than a new furnace with an AFUE of 78% or higher.
- To be classified as a high-efficiency furnace, a heater must have an AFUE rating of 90% or higher. Currently, combustion furnaces are available with AFUE ratings up to 98.5%, while electric furnaces can reach AFUE ratings of 100%.
- Regardless of whether you specifically want a high-efficiency furnace, purchasing a new furnace with the highest AFUE rating you can comfortably afford will offer the greatest energy savings over the lifetime of the furnace, which can range from 10-20 years with the right furnace maintenance and repair.
- Keeping your furnace in top condition will ensure it will be running at its highest efficiency. We offer furnace maintanence to prevent costly breakdowns.
Two Factors to Consider When Replacing Your Furnace
If you’re thinking about furnace replacement, efficiency is only one of many factors you should consider. Your heating and cooling service can help you select and install the right furnace for your home to minimize energy costs and maximize comfort—you can reach Sun Glow Heating & Air Conditioning at (503) 253-7789 to find out more about furnace replacement serving Portland.
- Fuel: It’s often easiest to purchase a new furnace that uses the same fuel source as your old one. However, it’s also worth considering the projected cost of fuel in the future; you may be able to save money or improve efficiency by switching to another type of fuel.
- Size: Furnaces are available in varying sizes and capacities. Choosing a furnace that is neither too large nor too small for your home is the key to heating your space effectively for greater comfort at lower cost.