What Every Family Should Know About Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

What Causes Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Symptoms Of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

There’s more to HVAC than heating and air conditioning. The V in the acronym stands for ventilation, which helps improve your indoor air quality and make the air in your Portland home safer, healthier, and more refreshing. If you don’t take care of your heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems, then you and your family could be at risk for carbon monoxide poisoning. Make sure you ventilate your furnaces, space heaters, and cooking ranges, and read on for some facts about carbon monoxide poisoning that every family should know.

What are the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?

Carbon monoxide poisoning is a serious health threat, and carbon monoxide itself is especially dangerous because its lack of color and odor makes it hard to detect. People who are asleep are in even greater danger because they won’t notice the symptoms, and long-term exposure can lead to brain damage or death. Weakness and dizziness are some of the milder symptoms, but nausea, confusion, and loss of consciousness can also occur. The first priority when you notice these symptoms is to clear the area and get everyone to safety. Don’t take symptoms lightly, and see a doctor for treatment if they persist.

What causes carbon monoxide poisoning?

The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning occur when someone inhales too much carbon monoxide. Oxygen can’t get where it needs to go because the body uses carbon monoxide in your red blood cells. The carbon monoxide itself is released during combustion, which means it can come from your furnace, space heater, or indoor fireplace. Your heating, ventilation, and air conditioning units should all be maintained regularly to prevent carbon monoxide release as well as remove carbon monoxide from the air. Carbon monoxide poisoning is also a primary reason you should never use a generator inside.

Who is most vulnerable to carbon monoxide poisoning?

Certain groups of people are especially susceptible to the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. Unborn babies absorb carbon monoxide even faster than adults, and so do children because of their more frequent breathing. On the other side of the age spectrum, older people are more susceptible to brain damage when exposed to carbon monoxide.

Contact us today to ensure your home is safe from Carbon Monoxide.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *